Building coils

Discussion in 'RBA/RBTA and SUB-TANKS' started by Just Me, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Just Me

Just Me Motivated

Hopefully I've chosen the right subforum, but if not please feel free to move this thread!

So, it might seem a simple question, but how would I go about building a coil? Are there any decent guides out there, or bits of advice you want to offer?

Thanks!

ConfigRouter2 likes this.
  2. Jeff

Jeff Fanatic

You have chosen the right sub-forum if you are looking to build coils for an RBA/RTA (Rebuildable Atomizer/Rebuildable Tank Atomizer). You need a Coil Building Kit, which includes a basic Ohm Meter, Coil Jig Set and the basic hand tools that you need for building coils. Building coils for an RBA/RDA (Rebuildable Atomizer/Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer) is easier to start with as you have more room to work with. The Coil Building Kit comes with a small roll of Kanthal A1, 24AWG wire. I would recommend practicing with the included 24AWG Wire before moving to the wire that you want to use for your build. Wire and Cotton are cheap and easily purchased through various vape shop online or ebay. On EBay you can get 100 Cotton Pads (Japanese Organic Cotton) ($20) and 100ft of TEMCo Kanthaal A1 ($10) for about $30 total. Considering that I personally use 3x Aspire Triton tanks with RTA kits and 2x RDA (Lush and Velocity) I save quite a bit building my own coils. The pre-made coils for the Aspire Triton cost about $25 for a 5pc package here at my local B&M. Considering how much cotton and wire I get for that same amount of money and can build for all my mods, I am saving a lot of money. But like I mentioned in another thread there is a trade off. You have to take to time to do this and learn as you go as a hobbyist or just purchase a premade, insert it in the tank and vape on.

The Truth About Building Coils: Start with this article here and then wander the internet. Google "Coils", "Coil Building" and "Coil Building Guide". You will come up with several different options and YouTube has just as many people putting up guides to help you along. I recommend this as everyone is different and different guides or videos are great for some and annoying as hell to others. Rip Tripper was some great YouTube video reviews, but some people don't like how "excited" he is. He does provide some great information on a lot of vaping gear. Here is Rip Trippers Coil Master Kit review.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND: Learning about Ohm's Law (Ohm's Law | Equation Formula and Limitation of Ohms Law), getting a Ohm Meter (getting a Ohm meter if you don't get the Coil Master Kit) and being patient while you learn about DIY Coils. Once you feel that you have enough knowledge of Ohm's Law and Battery Safety then using Steam Engine as a ready reference guide will make things easier.

Just Me likes this.
  3. Just Me

Just Me Motivated

Thanks for the information - you've definitely given me a place to start. I will have a look at the guides and see if I think I'm brave enough to give it a go (I'm not very techie/scientifically minded)!

Jeff likes this.
  4. VapeMinion

VapeMinion Rookie

There are literally dozens of Ohm's Law calculator apps for android and iphones. This is a helpful tool in determining safe builds.

zephyr likes this.
  5. Just Me

Just Me Motivated

Thanks! I'm probably the sort of person who would end up blowing myself up!

zephyr likes this.
  6. zephyr

zephyr Administrator
    Staff Member

Just Me likes this.
  7. kris truemanecig