New details on FDA proposal worry local vape shop owners

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Jeff, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Jeff

Jeff Fanatic

2. Just Me

Just Me Motivated

It's been taken down (or I can't see it at least). Can you tell me the gist of it, please?

3. Jeff

Jeff Fanatic

If I remember this article correctly...

Consistent with currently regulated tobacco products, under the proposed rule, newly deemed tobacco products would:
    Register with FDA and submit product and ingredient listings.
    Adhere to minimum age and identification restrictions to prevent sales to underage youth.
    Include health warning labels.
    Not distribute free samples.
    Not be sold in vending machines unless in a facility that does not admit youth.
    Only market new tobacco products after FDA review.
    Not make reduced risk claims like “light” or “mild” unless the manufacturer provides valid scientific data to support such a claim and is granted a market authorization by FDA.

4. Just Me

Just Me Motivated

Thanks for the summary.

I suppose the question is, how much does it cost to get an FDA review? If it's a bit, it could stop a lot of new liquids coming to market, and put smaller suppliers out of business. What about those companies that get their nicotine from other sources? I can't remember the name of the company, but they were extracting nicotine from tomatoes (it's a more expensive process than using tobacco, but theoretically get round the 'tobacco products' restrictions).