It only take one “Ah, Shit” to wipe out one thousand “Atta Boy”.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Jeff, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Jeff

Jeff Fanatic

I learned a long time ago in my life this expression…”It only takes one AH, SHIT to wipe out one thousand ATTA BOY” and that it is very true across a multitude of subjects. Recently, vaping has become my main subject of interest. Of course I jump on the internet start searching for information about every aspect of vaping. I have searched for everything from devices, vendors, DIY, reviewers (blog and YouTube), and reviews of the reviewers. This has bought me into a lot of information. So much information and in different formats; Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Google, message boards and combinations of all or just a mixture of a few.

Although the “Ah, Shit” rule is old it still applies to the ever evolving internet. So even though that momentary twinge or minute of irritation will pass, you have already typed a response and hit enter (or post, reply, whatever) to what it is or who it is that is irritating you. You probably did not take the time to check for spelling, grammar or any other issues that many people will turn around and use to judge your intelligence. Personally I am guilty of judging people based on what is typed and presented, but I am not a “Grammar Nazi”. I do not use it against you in an internet war, but it is still there in my head spinning around. I am aware of my own issues and working on it, as I too am guilty of rapidly typing a response and attacking or ranting about whatever.

I realize that everyone makes mistakes or “hits the Enter key” too soon. I also realize that the internet is not like writing on a piece of paper with a pencil; there is no eraser. Once something is out there, it is out there forever. This instant internet judgement comes along a long time after the “Ah, Shit” rule and a long time before personal computers. Strangely, I find that the “Ah, Shit” rule still applies even in today’s fast technology and that “too late to take it back” still applies.

So what am I getting at? Two things; 1) Vaping is the ‘new kid on the block’ and there are websites of all types proposing to know everything or sell everything available to vapers. There are multiple points of view of almost every topic concerning vaping. Everyone seems to think that their point of view is the correct point of view and this can lead to internet wars. Just a note: There are no winners of an internet war. 2) That we all make mistakes. We all “hit the Enter key”. It is hard enough for people to communicate and be understood verbally in a single language. We do not have the added use of sight and sound to help us understand the “speaker” over the internet. Add in multiple dialects, different country dialects and languages and we have a nightmare of communication issues.

The only thing we can do is to move forward, keep our heads up and realize that the last thing on the internet that pissed us off was mostly likely not aimed at us directly or was an internet miscommunication. So please think twice before firing off the latest rant. By all means rant away, but think twice before “hitting the Enter key”. You could have contributed 1000 great, informative and inspirational posts/articles, but that one “Ah, Shit” post that attacks someone is the post you will be remembered for.

Just Me likes this.
  2. Just Me

Just Me Motivated

Well said. Sadly, I think there are also people out there who enjoy keyboard worrying. The joys of the net! Too many people want to construct troll personalities to do on the web what they can't do in real life.

Jeff likes this.
  3. Jeff

Jeff Fanatic

@Just Me, you are correct about the "troll personalities" Also there are the people who do not take the time to read the "previous post(s)" and catch up on what is being discussed. Then they jump in with their "correct answer" and the 'internet war' begins. It is not the fact of who is wrong or right in a lot of cases. I have seen posting where the two people where actually arguing the same point, but using different wording and grammar. I remember the commercials for the old "Reading Is Fundamental" programs and have to laugh (and sometimes scream) at todays educational system. Students are using PC's with spell check, grammar check and thesaurus built in. Nobody is learning to read and comprehend, because they do not even read their own papers. They just mash some words together and then let the 'checkers' correct everything.

The reason I point this out is that people do not really care about their 'typed communication' skills or realize that certain things like body language, tone and inflection of voice or even volume of voice all effects verbal language, but can not be 'typed' in a post. So a lot of miscommunication on the internet is caused by a lack of descriptive text and wording.

Examples of this can be seen all over the internet. People do not read the subject line of a thread on a message board, jump in and post a great piece that has only a slight effect on the topic at hand because the OP (original post) was a question about (insert vaping issue here). In this instance, I am picking on internet communications and peoples lack of ability to take 5 minutes to do some reading first, but unfortunately this also applies to simple things like people not reading the item description that is printed on the label of whatever item they happen to have in there hand while shopping in the store.