Temperature control RDA?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by blowey, Dec 8, 2015.

1. blowey

blowey Rookie

Hey guys. I spoke to a friend the other day that said you can build your own temperature sensing coils in an RDA. Is this true? Do you need special wire/wick? Of so what gauge do you use? Thx

2. Jeff

Jeff Fanatic

"temperature sensing coils" - NO, unless the vaping industry has made leaps and bounds forward since this morning. Right now TC is purely a mathematical equation process, regardless if it is a TC mod or TC tank. Until a actual temperature sensor is introduced, TC will remain an mathematical equation process.

The Mist Hub has an article: Tutorial: Guide to Temperature Control Vaping

excerpt from link above: "Temperature Control Vaping is a technology that limits the temperature the coil is allowed to heat up to. The name temperature control is actually a misnomer because these devices lack any thermostat or temperature sensor. Mods using this technology do not sense the actual temperature of the coil but instead rely on the change in resistance as the coil is heated. When a specific resistance change is determined, the device will adjust, restrict, or cut-off the power to the coil. Many temperature controlled devices will only work with Ni-200 Nickel Coil or TI Pure Titanium wire. This is used because when compared to Kanthal or NiChrome they have a more linear relationship between resistance and temperature. As the coil heats the resistance rises since the increase in resistance is a relatively constant value based on its temperature it can use the change in resistance to roughly control temperature within 10° F."

3. zephyr

zephyr Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey @blowey
    I make my own RDA coils to temp controlled devices. Just make sure you're using the right wire that changes resistance as it heats. This allows the mod to "sense" the current temperature of the coil and shut off/start to keep an even temp.
    I use 28awg NI200 wire and find that 8 wraps on a 3mm bit gives my a nice 0.12-0.13 ohm coil that works really nicely.