Temp Control vs. Power

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by VapeMinion, Aug 15, 2015.

1. VapeMinion

VapeMinion Rookie

Okay, this is a common question in my shop, so I figured I'd post this so everyone can put in their two cents.

Personally, I think temp control is overrated. The reason I feel it's overrated is that temp control devices tend to be very finicky, and half the time they won't read your coils or if they do, the mod goes into 'protection' mode.

Temp control does have a few perks, the main one being that in most cases, battery life is usually increased. This can be a perk for people who dont have a lot of batteries. In my opinion, temp control does NOT give better flavor. You can get the same results with power by simply increasing or deacreasing your wattage.

The other issue I have with temp control is that we still don't know if nickel is safe to vape on. We do know that titanium is UNSAFE to vape on. G-Plat is also very dangerous to vape on, as it's nothing more than welding wire.

So, what is your opinion and why?

2. Nico

Nico Administrator
    Staff Member

Good topic to discuss. Temp control was not there this time last year. Then again the first news on sub tanks was only just coming out and look where we are now. Personally I love my SX Mini M class. The temp control on that YIHI chip is rock solid. Had a DNA 40 for a while and it was poor. The YIHI chip delivers and I have used on Kanger Subtank OCC coils, Freemax Starre Pro Ni Coils, the Vaporshark Atlantis coils and it is a good vape. I have tested running tanks dry and all that happens is that the vapor just decreases and decreases, no dry hits. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Not sure about the health implications of Ni or Ti wires over kanthal. I know there has been a lot of chat about potential dangers but then the oxides only occur when the temp is ramped up to the level that the vape would become unbearable. Like the test earlier this year about aldehyde production in vaping, these were only produced when the coil was pretty much red hot and the wicking material was burning.

I need to read more about the risks with Ti, you got links to any articles discussing it anywhere?

3. VapeMinion

VapeMinion Rookie

I simply looked up titanium and its properties in a college level chemistry book.

4. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 Rookie

I tried out temp control, and it's not for me. I stick with kanthal for my purposes. Basically, burnt hits are there to tell you that you are doing it wrong. Either too much power, improper wicking, or you're out of liquid in your tank. Temp control "fixes" that to the extent that a run flat tire "fixes" your flat. It keeps you from dying on the side of the road. But if you want the best vape for your atomizer, you have to build and power it right. Temp control can keep it from burning but it can't make it vape like it is supposed to when you built or wicked it wrong.

Jeff likes this.